We've already waxed philosophical about Dubrovnik. Its stunning stone walls look like they were built yesterday. Hectic during the peak season of June to August, you may find it more manageable in the spring or early fall.
If you are looking for a great place to sleep, we've just opened Fresh* Sheets Hostel Dubrovnik in the heart of the Old Town. A concept hostel offering funky, clean, character rooms for the discerning traveler. Located in the heart of the Old Town, we're just minutes away from a famous cliff-side bar and swimming hole. All restaurants, shops, and bars are easily accessible. And you will enjoy free internet and wi-fi access, a continental breakfast, book exchange, communal kitchen, and common area.
Passenger boats and buses arrive to the port of Gruz in Dubrovnik. The Old Town is just a 10 to 20 minute drive away (depending on traffic). You can catch a taxi (@50 KUNA) or take a public bus (10 KUNA) to the Old Town. Hop on either the 1A or 1B 'Pile Gate' bus. Once you get to the Old Town, enter through Pile Gate (main entrance).
Upon arrival, your cheapest option is to take an airport shuttle (@35 KUNA). The bus picks up passengers outside the arrival hall and drops you off just outside Pile Gate (main entrance to the Old Town). Airport taxis are available as well (@200 KUNA). The taxi line is next to the shuttle bus. If no taxis are available, ask at the information desk.
FROM PILE GATE (MAIN ENTRANCE):
(1) Once you have entered the Old Town, walk straight down the main street 'Placa' (Stradun) towards the Clock Tower. (@ 3 minutes)
(2) Turn right after Cafe Cele (if you have walked past the statue of Orlando in front of the St. Blaise's Church, you have gone to far...)
(3) Head straight past the Morning Fruit and Veg Market in Gundulic Square and up the steps leading to the Jesuit Monastery. (@ 3 minutes)
(4) Once you have climbed the 'Spanish Steps', you will be in front of the Jesuit Monastery, walk left through the gravel courtyard left until you see a sign that reads 'Cold Drinks'. (@ 15s)
(5) Turn right and follow the sign towards 'Cold Drinks' (Buza). This will take you along a path that follows the outer sea wall. Once you see the next 'Cold Drinks' sign, you are almost there. (@ 3 minutes)
(6) Walk straight past two small alleys. Fresh* Sheets is the corner building located on your right-hand side directly across from a garden. It is the light blue building four-story building with sheets hanging outside. Address: 15 Smokvina (aka Sv. Simuna) (@ 30s)